Start date July 1, 2012; Revised October 25, 2021.
The training of HQP (Highly Qualified Personnel) is a priority for CLSI. High travel costs create a significant barrier for students from outside Saskatoon who require to access the CLS for their research or for students who need access to CLS@APS. Therefore, this program has been created to support students travelling to the CLS in Saskatoon, SK to conduct experiments that have been allocated through the peer-review process and to students travelling to APS in Illinois to conduct experiments at CLS@APS. Support is limited to two visits per student in a calendar year and a lifetime limit of four visits, based on available budgets.
To be eligible for travel support you must:
- Be an undergraduate, graduate or post-doctoral student enrolled at a Canadian university or college;
- Applications must include applicants academic Supervisor;
- Be listed as a team member on an active Project that has been allocated beamtime at the CLS or CLS@APS;
- Agree to the Terms of the Travel Reimbursement:
Reimbursement to student’s home institution is based on expenses for travel and room accommodation only, up to the maximum amount noted below.
- Acknowledge this support in any publications about their work and provide CLSI with a copy of such publications, including thesis, in the form: (Student name) acknowledges the receipt of support from the CLSI Student Travel Support Program.
- Travel within the time period for which the student’s application was approved.
Procedures and Guidelines:
- Support is limited to two visits per calendar year and a lifetime limit of four visits (commencing in 2019).
- First time visitors will be given preference when evaluating applications.
- No single Project shall receive more than 10% of the aggregate amount available in any calendar quarter.
- Post-graduate students shall have preference when evaluating applications.
How to Apply
|Dates of Travel/Beamtime||Application Deadline||Applicants Notified By|
|January 1 - March 31, 2023||December 9, 2022||December 16, 2022|
|April 1 - June 30, 2023||March 10, 2023||March 17, 2023|
|July 1 - September 30, 2023||June 9, 2023||June 16, 2023|
|October 1 - December 31, 2023||September 8, 2023||September 15, 2023|
Once you are approved, you will be sent a certificate from CLSI indicating the value of the reimbursement. After your travel, submit your expense claim within three months to your institution and attach the certificate. It provides your institution with details of how funds will be transferred from CLSI.
- Travel from within Saskatchewan, outside of Saskatoon, to Saskatoon, SK: only accommodation and ground transportation up to a maximum of $500
- Travel from Manitoba or Alberta to Saskatoon, SK: $750 maximum
- Travel from Quebec, Ontario, or British Columbia to Saskatoon, SK: $1000 maximum
- Travel from the Northwest Territories, Yukon, or Nunavut to Saskatoon, SK: $1250 maximum
- Travel from the Atlantic Provinces to Saskatoon, SK: $1250 maximum
- Travel from Canada to Chicago, Il: $1000 maximum