- X-Ray Spectroscopy
- Heterogeneous catalysis
- CO2 and CH4 reduction/conversion reactions
Dr. Mohsen Shakouri is a staff scientist and the beamline responsible of the Soft X-ray Microcharacterization beamline (SXRMB) at the CLS. Mohsen has more than 10 years of professional experience in developing and synthesizing structured nanomaterials catalysts, designing and fabricating lab-scale test set-ups to evaluate catalyst performance, and handling various characterization and analytical instruments. He is also experienced in investigating materials' chemical structures using X-ray spectroscopy, microscopy and crystallography techniques. Mohsen likes to conduct hands-on experimental work, from designing the experiments, building the setups, to completing the runs and interpreting the results.
Mohsen obtained his PhD and MSc degrees in the Chemical and Biological Engineering Department at the University of Saskatchewan in 2018 and 2012, respectively, and his BSc. in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering at the Sharif University of Technology in 2008.
When he needs a break, he like to cook. He is also a huge fan of soccer and volleyball, and has played in various tournaments here at Saskatoon.
Published Book Chapter
- Zhang, H. Wang, C. Xi, M. Shakouri, Y. Hu, and A.K. Dalai, “Design and Preparation of Ni-Co Bimetallic Nanocatalyst for Carbon Dioxide Reforming of Methane”, Nanocatalysis for Fuels and Chemicals; Dalai, A.; ACS Symposium Series; American Chemical Society: Washington, DC, 2012, Vol. 1092, Ch. 11
Selected Refereed Journals
- Bias-Adaptable CO2-to-CO Conversion via Tuning the Binding of Competing Intermediates Liang, J. Zhao, H. Zhang et al., Nano Lett., 2021, 10.1021/acs.nanolett.1c02719
- New insights into the high-performance black phosphorus anode for lithium-ion batteries: Li, W. Li, T. Hu et al., Adv. Matt., 2021, 10.1002/adma.202101259.
- General synthesis of single-atom catalysts with high metal loading using graphene quantum dots, Xia, Y. Qui, Y. Xia et al., Nat. Chem., 2021, 10.1038/s41557-021-00734-x
- Electrochemical ammonia synthesis via nitrate reduction on Fe single atom catalyst Z-Y. Wu, M. Karamad, X. Yong et al., Nat. Commun., 2021, 12, 2870. 10.1038/s41467-021-23115-x
- Mechanistic insights into interfacial nano-synergistic effects in trimetallic Rh-on-NiCo on-CNTs for room temperature solvent-free hydrogenations hu, H. Zhu, M. Shakouri et al., Appl. Catal., B, 2021, 297, 120404. 10.1016/j.apcatb.2021.120404
- Cr cation-anchored carbon nanosheets: synthesis, paramagnetism and ferromagnetism. Xia, H. Zhang, Z. Liao et al., Nanotechnology, 2021, 32, 335706. 10.1088/1361-6528/ac00df
- Glovebox-integrated XES and XAS station for in situ studies in tender x-ray region. Shakouri, W.M. Holden, Y. Hu et al., Electronic Structure, 2020, 2(4), 047001. 10.1088/2516-1075/abb932
- CO2 conversion through combined steam and CO2 reforming of methane reactions over Ni and Co catalysts. Shakouri, Y. Hu, R. Lehoux, H. Wang, Can. J. Chem. Eng., 2020, 1-13. 10.1002/cjce.23828
- Influence of calcination on physico-chemical properties and Ficher–Tropsch activity of titanosilicate supported cobalt catalysts with different pore sizes. Kamath, S. Badoga, M. Shakouri et al., Appl. Catal., A, 2020, 598, 117263. 10.1016/j.apcata.2020.117563
- Water Vapor Adsorption–Desorption Behavior of Surfactant-Coated Starch Particles for Commercial Energy Wheels. Shakouri, E.N. Krishnan, A.H. Karoyo et al., ACS Omega, 2019, 4(11), 14378. 10.1021/acsomega.9b00755
- Development of shaped NiCoMg/γ–Al2O3 catalyst with commercial support for CO2 reforming of CH4. Liang, L. Tian, M. Shakouri et al., Catal. Today, 2017, 291, 76. 10.1016/j.cattod.2017.02.048
- XANES and EXAFS studies on metal nanoparticle growth and bimetallic interaction of Ni-based catalysts for CO2 reforming of CH4. Wang, J. T. Miller, M. Shakouri et al., Catal. Today 2013, 207, 3. 10.1016/j.cattod.2012.09.015