What started it all: our educator professional development. Our Education Programs would not be where they are today without the countless teachers and other educators that have walked through our doors or connected virtually. We are pleased to continue to support educators across Canada, and internationally, with PD sessions. We aim to help inspire educators’ own curiosity in STEM topics, with Indigenous Ways of Knowing, and help spark new ideas for the classroom. Hear from a few of these educators in our Testimonial section below.
We currently offer:
- Annual CLS Educators’ Workshop
- Workshops providing the necessary training for our Students on the Beamline Program
- Indigenous-Focused Teacher Professional Development
- Recorded STEM Seminars on various topics for you to take in at your leisure
- Seminars delivered to you (virtually or in-person) on a variety of CLS & synchrotron topics
We are also happy to engage with you or your organization to develop something to suit your needs. Contact us for more info.
The Canadian Light Source is proud to offer professional development opportunities and we acknowledge the support of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) PromoScience to make this possible.
We are excited (and hopeful) to host educators in person at CLS at our annual CLS Educators’ Workshop on Nov 25-27, 2022! You do not want to miss this workshop! We will be exploring weaving traditional knowledge into synchrotron science by looking at how both perspectives work together in physics, biology, chemistry, health studies, and native studies.
You will be immersed in a unique science culture as you receive professional development on synchrotron research, bringing inquiry & science into the classroom, networking with experts and fellow educators, exploring the CLS, engaging in Indigenous approaches, and more!
Click on the poster to see our agenda.
***Limited space avaliable
|Date:||Nov 25-27, 2022 in person (3 day workshop)|
|Location:||At Canadian Light Source in Saskatoon, SK|
|Theme:||Science of the Hunter and the Berry Picker|
|Cost:||$300 (fees support activities, lunches, evening social, and teaching resource package)|
|Prerequisites:||Safety Training completed before coming to the CLS|
|Funding:||Limited travel funding available|
Working with CLS staff, you will also participate in your own synchrotron experiment using X-rays and your own sample! For more detail of what you can expect, check out below for general information on our workshops and previous Educators' Workshop agendas.
Application deadline is October 15th, 2022
Annual Educators' Workshops
Our Educators' Workshops are a way for educators to receive hands-on experience connecting STEM with science research, Indigenous Ways of Knowing, inquiry education, and a synchrotron. Each workshop has a theme but with similar components. Once we have decided on our dates and the theme, we will update this page accordingly. However, whether in-person or virtual, as a participant you will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in synchrotron experiments
- Learn about novel research in many disciplines
- Network with scientists who will share their experiences and enthusiasm for science
- Explore the entire facility
- Engage in Indigenous approaches or Traditional Knowledge, where possible
- Make real-life connections to science curriculum, and more!
- IDEAS in Action: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
Investigate chemical differences in samples collected by participants (eg: soil or fruit)
- Crystals and Diffraction: Biology
Prep microscopic samples and view the structure of a protein crystal from synchrotron data
- Anatomy of a Beamline: Light and Optics
Look deeper into how a beamline works
- How exactly does this state-of-the art machine produce its brilliant light?
- The grand tour - See this magnificent facility up-close and personal!
- The basis of synchrotron research techniques
- How to weave together Indigenous Ways of Knowing and mainstream Science
- How to incorporate inquiry and current research into the classroom
- Guest speakers in up and coming scientific research
We Can Come to You!
There are many ways that the Canadian Light Source can support professional development opportunities for educators. Contact us and we will work with you to bring a session to your professional development workshop, conference, or convention. As resources permit, the session may be in-person or by remote presentation. For ideas on what we can offer, check out our Seminars page and we can work with you to adapt a session to suit your needs.
We also have recorded seminars for you to view at your leisure or watch live! Our STEM Seminar Series is a series of virtual seminars held throughout the year that provide insight into science research, the synchrotron, or how science research connects into the classroom. You will hear from a scientist, teacher, or professional talk about their research, teaching, or experiences. These are free online events and open to everyone.
Want to see previous talks? You can view the abstracts and access the links to the previous seminars in our Virtual Classroom! Many of these talks are great supplements to concepts shared throughout our Education Programs and help support connecting science research and science education.