1st International Conference
Pan-American Light Sources for Agriculture (PALSA 2019)
Canada is a world-leading producer of agricultural-based products. Population growth and food security concerns require greater crop yields through novel and advanced research tools such as synchrotron-based techniques. Several light sources have identified agriculture as a scientific field through which to influence an issue of global concern.
The Canadian Light Source (CLS) at the University of Saskatchewan is the first synchrotron to define agricultural science as one of its strategic priorities, due to the combination of its unique infrastructure capabilities, in-house expertise, and close proximity to outstanding agricultural science infrastructure.
The goal of this conference is to increase awareness about the value of light sources for agricultural research, and to engage with potential customers to increase the use of advanced imaging synchrotron tools, by showcasing leading research in the field.
Conference history and destinations
The Canadian Light Source at the University of Saskatchewan, in partnership with the CHESS synchrotron in the United States and the Brazilian Synchrotron Light Laboratory in Brazil, is organizing this international conference for the first time, subsequently intended to take place every 2 years, alternating between the three major light sources.
The international conference will take place over
2-days – July 6 – 7, 2019 – in Saskatoon,SK, Canada
International organizing committee
- Leon Kochian, Canada Excellence Research Chair in Global Food Security, Global Institute for Food Security/ UofS
- Derek Peak, Professor, College of Agriculture and Bioresources, UofS
- Chithra Karunakaran (Chair), CLS/ Adjunct Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering, UofS
- Arthur Woll, Cornell University/ Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source (CHESS)
- Olena Vatamaniuk, Associate Professor, Soil and crop sciences, Cornell University
- Helio C. N. Tolentino, Researcher, Brazilian synchrotron light laboratory – LNLS/CNPEM
- Hudson Wallace P. Carvalho, University of São Paulo
- Dr. Robert Lamb, CEO Canadian Light Source (Chair)
Local organizing committee
- Karen Tanino, Professor, UofS
- Chris Kirby, Associate Director, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Chithra Karunakaran (Chair), CLS
- Sandra Ribeiro, CLS
- Jarvis Stobbs, CLS
- Lucia Zuin, CLS
- Tom Regier, CLS
- Jeff Warner, CLS
- Yongfeng Hu, CLS