October 7 – 8, 2020
The Annual User's Meeting (AUM)
The AUM provides a place for synchrotron scientists from diverse disciplines to share their work and discuss future directions for their research. It is also an excellent opportunity to receive the latest facility developments and meet with CLS scientists. This online event is free to attend, but you must REGISTER to participate in the meetings, breakout sessions and poster sessions.
October 7: CLS Facility and Research Update
The morning will be dedicated to updates from CLS leaders and presentations from our 2019 award winners.
- 2019 G. M. Bancroft Award Winner -Dr. Nazanin Samadi – A real time phase space beam size and divergence monitor for synchrotron radiation.
- 2019 Young Investigator Excellence Award Winner – Dr. Robert Green – Transmission-luminescence detection for X-ray absorption spectroscopy and X-ray reflectometry
The afternoon session will feature poster presentation, and the best posters will receive prizes valued up to $500.
October 8: CLS 2.0 Overview and Planning
Dr. Mark Boland will deliver an overview of Machine Planning for CLS 2.0 followed by two keynote speakers:
Harry Westfahl Jr. Scientific Director, Brazilian Synchrotron Light Laboratory
Mark Sutton, McGill University, Centre for the Physics of Materials, and Physics Department.
In the afternoon, participate in sector-focused breakout sessions. Join a discussion about cutting-edge synchrotron science and share which techniques will be most useful for your research.
Thank you to our organizing committee:
- Erika Bergen: Program Liaison; CLS Industrial Science Operations Coordinator
- Dr. Ian Burgess: Program Chair; Users’ Executive Committee Chair
- Dr. Chithra Karunakaran: Science Liaison; CLS Manager, Enviro / Earth Sciences
- Erin Kinar: Administration; CLS Executive Assistant – Science
- Dr. Tom Regier: Science Liaison; LS – SGM Senior Scientist
- Sandra Ribeiro: Promotion & Communication; CLS Communications Advisor
- Danielle Veikle, Poster Sessions; CLS Industrial Support Scientist
- Dr. Jeff Warner: Awards Chair; CLS Industrial Science Manager
- Dr. Lucia Zuin: Science Liaison; CLS – VLSPGM Senior Scientist
- Victoria Schramm, Promotion & Communications, CLS Communications Coordinator
What do you want the future of synchrotron science in Canada to look like?
We welcome your input and look forward to seeing you online at the CLS AUM and CLS 2.0 conference October 7-8, 2020! If you have any questions, please contact CLS@lightsource.ca.
Dr. Gianluigi Botton
Chair, CLS AUM 2020
CLS Director of Science