Oil and Gas
The oil and gas industry is constantly developing viable new oil and gas sources, new technologies to facilitate efficient extraction and refining, and methods of cost-effective site cleanup. They are also exploring the potential for the creation of new materials made from oil and gas.
CLS beamlines and corresponding scientific services offer several advantages in these ventures. We can assist in isolating heavy metals in industrial sites, measuring the porosity and permeability of oil bearing rock, determining mineral reactions from CO2 injection and characterizing polymers and new industrial materials for use in extraction and refining processes. Specific to the oil sands, opportunities exist in the analysis of the nature of slurries and soils to assist in both extraction and remediation.
“The group at the Canadian Light Source is the premier group in the world for this kind of work.”
- Map chemical distribution and mineral phases for petrologic characterization of oil reservoirs.
- Reservoir characterization from porosity and permeability of rock core. •
- Characterize stability of elemental sulphur and its impact on acid rock drainage.
- Assess pipeline corrosion processes and aid in the development of anti-corrosion coatings.
- Test industrial Brownfield sites to determine if, and where, contamination has occurred and aid in redevelopment plans.
- Determine the nature of environmental contaminants to develop and improve remediation and decommissioning strategies.
Discover our areas of expertise
- Unique-in-Canada analytical services:
- Advanced X-ray imaging
- Non-destructive testing
- In-situ investigations
- Bulk and surface investigations
- A strong team of accomplished scientists to work with you to develop scientific experiments that meet industry standards
- A full range of access modes to suit your needs
- Remote data collection from anywhere in the world
- On-site data collection, taking advantage of Saskatoon’s central location
- Mail-in service, where competent staff perform experiments for you
- Expertise across the scientific spectrum
- Leading-edge research and development
- A trusted reputation