Mechanical Engineer – Job No. 767
The Canadian Light Source Inc. (CLSI) is the national synchrotron research facility on the University of Saskatchewan campus in Saskatoon. This facility produces high intensity synchrotron light to explore the nature and structure of molecules and serves national and international users from academia, industry, and government institutions.
Reporting to the Manager of Engineering and Technical Services, the successful candidate will demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and ability to effectively communicate and function as part of a highly skilled engineering group. The nature of CLSI work is such that there is opportunity to specialize in areas and techniques of mechanical engineering that are relatively unique. Opportunities exist for a candidate with the aptitude and motivation to become highly specialized.
- Provide support for design and development of accelerators, beamlines and facility services
- Participate in many aspects of synchrotron operations and maintenance
- Other assignments may include technical direction, field engineering, and project management
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline
- Eligible for professional membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS)
- Experience with cooling water systems in a process plant setting or
- Experience with refrigeration and/or cryogenic systems
Alternate Skills/Experience given Consideration:
- Experience with machine design, CAD (AutoCAD, Inventor), and/or manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of vacuum systems, including ultra-high vacuum
- Knowledge of precision survey and alignment equipment and techniques
- Experience designing motion control systems
- Use of FEA (ANSYS or similar) software to solve heat transfer and stress problems
- Experience with HVAC systems in a process plant setting
- Experience in operation and/or design of high energy physics or nuclear facilities
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards for mechanical design
CLSI hires based upon evaluated potential in one or more of the areas of interest. Compensation will depend upon the candidates level of knowledge and experience, and includes a full range of benefits combined with a much sought after work/life balance. Intrinsically motivated individuals will do well in the CLSI work environment.
Please submit a resume along with references, in confidence, to email@example.com. Please quote job number 767 in the subject. Applications will be considered beginning September 3, 2014. The posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Although first consideration will be given to citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada, CLSI strongly encourages all qualified applicants to apply. CLSI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages members of designated groups (women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities and visible minorities) to self-identify on their applications.